Wednesday 25 July 2012

My reasons for joining Weight Watchers.


Anyone that is even contemplating joining Weight Watchers has a defining moment when they say “enough is enough”.  For some it is standing in a changing room of a store and something doesn’t fit and you say “it’s ok – the fit on these clothes is really bad I just need a bigger size” and for others it is a photograph.

What was it for me? It was both. Let me examine and explain one at a time to you.  

“It’s ok – the fit on these clothes is really bad I just need a bigger size” (disclaimer – I am speaking about people here who are genuinely overweight to the point of obese)

I blame Stacey and Clinton on “what not to wear” for this in some way.  I include wonderful Gok Wan in this as well.   They all say it’s ok to get a bigger size so that a trousers or dress fits you.  Yes, I agree in some cases that is very true but when you know that you are overweight (and some people are on these shows) then you need to be told sternly with no punches “lose weight”.  
Sometimes TV show folk it is not ok to get a bigger size, you need to get off your ass and walk / run / swim to lose the weight for those trousers or dress to fit you better.  I know these TV shows help people on how to dress better but in some cases they would be better off telling people to lose weight as well. 

I kept saying to myself, it’s ok it is the clothes that are all sized wrong – but then when a size 16 starting being the norm and then that was not starting to fit – I said whhooooahhhhh ! Something isn’t right here – buts it’s ok I will wear black ... black is slimming right.... WRONG that’s where the next point of my epiphany comes in.

The photograph

It is such an innocent thing to do at the time – capture a wonderful moment in your life.  But then you get home on the high of your holiday and can’t wait to see your photos and then BOOM.  You see it! The photograph that you really can’t believe is you – it’s not is it?  Is that me? Ok so who else was there when those photographs were being taken – crap that is definitely me in that photograph.

That is exactly the conversation I had with myself almost three years ago on returning from a holiday with my best friends.  These girls always got dressed up so glam so before my holidays I knew I needed that something special.  So I bought a beautiful black dress.  Remember black is slimming isn’t it?  Emmm trust me when I say black may be slimming but it isn’t a miracle worker.

When I saw the photograph I thought OMG – and to this day I still call the day that I look inflated.  At the time the photograph was taken I thought I was fabulous and trust me the following photograph after that one of me on the dance floor after a few drinks – I really did think I was sexy and fabulous.  But looking back at the photograph I wasn’t it fabulous or sexy as I thought I was.  In fact I am/was embarrassed to look at the photograph.    But I still look at it – to remind me of that defining moment when I thought I was fabulous and sexy but really I wasn’t it.   When I look at I feel embarrassed and ashamed.

That photograph now stays with me at all times - but it has taken many forms and is in many places.  Firstly, the photo is on my dresser so that I see every single day the way I did look and how I looked during my weight loss and how I look at goal weight.  It is a great picture to look and remember what I have achieved also.

Secondly, the photo is on my phone – in the photos section not on the front screen.  So that when I get tempted or feel why the hell am I doing this – I look at it and I think yeah this is why.

Confidence – do you have it / do you actually need it?

You are sitting there saying to me that it is about confidence to get started to lose weight, and I agree confidence is required to walk in to a gym and start training, confidence is required to get your swimsuit on and get swimming – BUT ... and this is a big but (no pun intended) but you don’t need confidence to put on your tracksuit and walk.  Yes, walk – even if it is in the dark or early morning you just need to cop on to get off your ass.

That’s all it takes – cop on – just a little bit self acknowledgement and self awareness to know that now is the time to take action.

So whatever you reasons are for taking that brave step to walk through the door of weight watchers and admit you need help – just do it.    A wise women once said – “the only thing stopping me is me” and nothing truer has ever been said!

If you are brave enough – add you reasons in the comment section below on why you have joined or are joining weight watchers.

Just know one thing you are not alone – and you will realise that when you walk in that weigh in room – and do yourself one favour – stay for the meeting – you will meet some great people who are all there for the same reason as you ! 

S

No comments:

Post a Comment