Tuesday 4 December 2012

Odlums Brown Scones - Baking made simple!



I have always loved baking and cooking shows.  I love how easy they make it look to bake and make something fantastic.  Being between jobs aka unemployed I decided now was as good a time as ever to try and bake something.  Having absolutely no baking utensils I decided to start off slowly and make some easy bake scones. 

Easy bake scones I hear you say, crazy but it was a packet and you just added water.  Yes, that simple.   But having only ever made chocolate rice krispies buns from school days I figured starting easy was the best way to go.    And now, I have found a passion and a hobby that I am actually quite good at. 

Ok so I have started off really slowly by making scones from a packet.  But I can’t believe how easy it and how much I loved baking so much.  So much so I made an apple tart recently.    I will blog about that another time, but for now I will tell you how my brown scones worked out and how easy they are to make.

I bought a packet of Odlums Brown Scone Mix in my local tesco supermarket and read the simple easy instructions.  Just add water! 

I put the mix in a bowl and added the water and knead the scone mix until it was dough. I rolled it out and as I didn’t have a cookie cutter I used a knife to divide up the mix.  I used my hands to round off the dough in to a scone shape.  Popped in the over for 15 minutes and badddaa boom – I made scones that turned out pretty darn good.  Take a look here at my results.

I know this was an easy start but it gave the pride and knowledge to know that I can do it.  It gave me the pride to know that I can start a new hobby at 35 and be good at it. 

Look at how fantastic they turned out!  Yes I had already taken one to sample from this little bundle of loveliness. For those wondering I worked out that there is 6 ProPoints per scone.
 
Obviously being on weight watchers I am being careful about what I am going to bake and cook – but I hope to find some fantastic recipes to share here on my blog and hopefully make a nice little recipe book to share with you all.

What do you like to bake?  Do you have anything easy to recommend that I can try?  Link me up in the comments.

S


No comments:

Post a Comment